Health Summer School 2009
Mr. Overton and Mr. Maisano
YOUR GRADES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON A WEEKLY BASIS AS WELL AS EXTRA COPIES OF THIS SYLLABUS AND GRADING RUBRICS ON THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE:
- Pen and pencil.
- Three ring binder.
- Pocket folder.
Units & Objectives
Physical, Social, & Mental/Emotional Health
- Recognize the importance.
- Understand what influences one’s health.
- Taking responsibility of your choices and decisions.
- Understand what you are eating and how it is affecting your health.
- Determining what your body needs for optimal health.
- Explain the importance of dietary guidelines.
- Evaluate and compare different foods.
- Distinguish between proper and improper weight loss strategies.
Health and Physical Activity
- Target Heart Rate Range – Types of Exercises
- Explain the cardiovascular system.
- Develop the F.I.T.T Formula base on you target heart rate.
Adolescence to Adulthood
- Understanding mental and emotional changes.
- Goal setting for your future.
- Explain adult responsibility.
- Analyzing different types of marriages.
- STD’S and HIV with knowledge of reproduction.
Alcohol & Drugs
- Compare possible consequences to possible outcomes depending on decision or action taken.
- Develop a PSA about the benefits of staying drug and alcohol free.
Grading – Tests & Quizzes (50%), Projects (40%), Notebook/Participation (10%)
4 Vocabulary quizzes Individual project and Group project
1 Final exam Nutritional Information Typed
10 Health Articles Summaries F.I.T.T Formula Journal
Make-up work – Gym membership or Grocery list
Projects, Presentations, and Papers
- Students will choose a topic on disease and conditions from www.myoptumhealth.com. You will be given a rubric for criteria on the presentation and 1 page paper that will be handed in.
- Students will be grouped into pairs of 3. You will research a topic that has to do with alcohol, tobacco, or drugs. You will be given a rubric for criteria on the presentation and 3 page paper that will be handed in.
- Quizzes will be every Thursday before going to the library for research.
- Movies will be shown on Tuesday/Wednesday and there will be comprehension, true/false, vocabulary, and a test given during and after.
- Students will make a health article portfolio that includes a 10 -12 articles, a current event sheet, a summary of each article, how it affects you, the community, and the world. 2 presentations of articles will be necessary.
- You will be given a nutritional sheet. You will need to answer each question in depth. The information needs to be typed and plagiarized material will count as a ZERO.
- You will develop a personal fitness program for yourself and keep a journal. You will base it off of the F.I.T.T Formula.
- If you happen to miss a class, you will be able to make it up by choosing either a grocery list or gym membership project. A grocery list consists of serving sizes, pricing, calories, fat, carbohydrates, and protein. The gym membership consists of researching three gyms, comparing and contrasting their benefits, and which one you would pick and why.
I, ____________________________________, due hereby understand all requirements and responsibilities that will allow me to successfully achieve a credit in Health 1 on this date, _____________________.
(Student Signature) (Parent Signature)